I met with many stakeholders in March and early April as we kicked-off the city’s effort to update the comprehensive plan. After our first public event, and several steering committee meetings we now have a Draft Framework 7.23.17 which contains a vision, goals, and actions to guide the creation of specific recommendations for the future of Harrison.
The Steering Committee’s subcommittees will meet 3 times through the end of August in preparation for the 2nd public event in September. :
- July 27: Discuss impacts of potential growth on the topic area, verify information, begin discussing strategies
- Aug 10: Review topical recommendations Area by Area, refine and add recommendations as needed
- Aug 24: Confirm that we have reconciled recommendations across topics, establish a set of projects/initiatives for the public to review and prioritize.
We are organizing into four topically focused work groups to discuss strategies and recommendations for the plan for the first meeting. The subcommittees can download their packets below. If you are not a member of the subcommittee you can still download the information and send us your thoughts before August 10th . These materials are preliminary and are provided for consideration and in draft format which will be modified before the formal presentation to the public.
- Land Use and Economic Development: This group will need to understand the Planning Areas and Potential Development Areas map, along with the Vision and Strategic Goals and Actions, and the capacity analysis data. We would like to verify that the appropriate areas are identified, review the capacity assessment, and a palette of potential development types for review and discussion. We would ask for recommendations about the development types you would like to see or think are most appropriate in each of the Potential Development Areas.
- Mobility and Infrastructure: This group will need to be familiar with the Plan Framework Map and Potential Development Area Map with a supplemental utility service area map and functionally classified road network, along with the Vision and Strategic Goals and Actions. We would ask you to verify the networks and service areas, review the capacity assessment, and begin to discuss potential needs for network and infrastructure improvements.
- The Green Network: This group will need to be familiar with the Green Framework Map and Potential Development Areas map along with the Vision and Strategic Goals and Actions, and the capacity analysis. We will ask you to help verify that the appropriate resources are identified on the map, review the capacity assessment, and begin to discuss the potential preservation and trail connectivity possibilities.
- Community Services: This group will need to be familiar with the Planning Areas, Potential Development Areas, and the Green Network maps showing the location of public/city facilities, along with the Vision and Strategic Goals and Actions, and the capacity analysis data. We would ask you to verify the location of existing facilities, and begin making recommendations about where improvements or new facilities are needed. We would also like you to consider recommendations about other improvements like streetscaping, additional park needs, making Harrison more livable through public investments, community events, neighborhood organizations, etc.
Your input is extremely valuable to this process, and I appreciate everyone’s efforts to participate. While open discussion in these meetings will be very beneficial for all involved, if you are unable to attend but are still willing to give us feedback please contact me and we will do our best to include your input.